As men’s office attire is considerably more basic, women find it difficult to fulfill the gap between being too manly or too feminine at their workplace. Moreover, the idea of new outfits for a whole new day haunts us ladies to death. Being a 90s kid, we all have adored Rachel (obviously from the F.R.I.E.N.D.S.) for her fashion sense. I personally took notes of diversity in her dressings when she moved to Ralph Lauren from Bloomingdale. Her fashion sense was always so sleek yet so comfy. I remember the episode vividly, the one where she took Charlie (yes, the female one) and Phoebe to shopping. Her character was so much stronger and dynamic whenever she is at shopping; we used to see a total bright-and-loud Rachel. Her office attires were always monochromatic and contemporary; mixing rather matching was her way to go. She stood out the most when she got ready for Ross’s speech at the museum’s benefit. Her costume was a beautiful pastel of olive green, which she carried out in the most delicate yet stylish way possible.
Miranda Priestly, yes the boss-lady from The Devil Wears Prada mercilessly showed Andy and us how to dress for a workplace adequately and obviously how to party in fashion. Though the morale of the movie was quite a bit different from our discussion right now, what Andy learned the hard way was remarkably stylish?
Perceiving some of the ideas from Rach and Andy and incorporating the basic sense of fashion for daily work life will be guided for the rest of the discussion here. Because going gaga is sensibly not an option and leaving your own personal style at home is certainly a mistake.
As the old saying goes, “Dress for the job you wantDress for the job you want not for the one you have”. You can always bring your sense of fashion to the workplace without flawing your professional finesse. Nevertheless, obviously don’t compromise on your office environment, stick to some first-hand rules and infused your inner fashionista into a competent professional being.
For an 8 hours job, you surely do not want to look boring and conservative but that does not mean to wear a Pikachu Hoodie to your workplace to look COOLING. Decency has always won it all and is the best way to look elegant yet fashionable.
Texture, Colors, Length & Fits
The cleverest way to infuse your style into your work wardrobe would be the use of texture and colors, length and fits so that it speaks volume for you without you having to say a word and that might be budget-y for you as daily a new outfit will go you bankrupt and trust me, you definitely don’t want that.
If your office wear is gambling with your office reputation, you have to put it aside for the weekend affairs because according to Nicole Williams, a career expert at LinkedIn;
“The problem with appearance is that it translates to your performance”
In every office, there is always a woman who has the most superior sense of office dressingoffice dressing, which tends to make other female co-workers nervous around her. She might be a normal girl outside the workplace to stay in her old t-shirt during the laundry day or too lazy to dress for the weekends, but during her office hours, she is a chunk of Khaleesi, a chunk of Michelle Obama and Ivanka Trump. This is how she could make her Senior-Ranking-Employee doubt her career by the aroma of her confidence through her being the office dressing goddess.
Best Looking Self at Workplace
Our guideline for your best looking self at workplace.
- Jewelry that jangles or clinks against your desk, keyboard, or anything is a total no-no.
- Colors are the indicators of your persona and mood and these two play an important part in your professional growth. Red being the aggressive color, grey being the conservative one and black being the chicest and serious color goes well with the pantsuits, skirts, and shoes. Alternatively, you can mix and match them with light pastels of ivory, lilac, and soft pink.
- Drooping handbags give clumsy look to your overall personality and you do not want such an impression during your workweek. Go for satchels, finely embossed totes or top-handle bags (Even if the inside is messy!)
- Details add a lot to your overall image. Manicured nails, neat and clean shoes, well-ironed clothes and neatly done hair will do a lot than you could imagine.
- Carry glasses, which fit you perfectly because you do not want to play with them all the time. That would be distracting.
- Wearing a strong perfume or cologne might not be a pleasant idea as Nicole Williams says, “Anything that anyone can smell is not good”.
- Neon colors and too flashy clothes could be the visual equivalent of shouting, so avoid them. Orr you could just simply take notes (silently) from your stylish coworker and not let her shake your confidence again.
To look pleasant yet presentable in your workplace is the key to professional growth. Do not sell yourself short by over shadowing from somebody else’s attire and persona. You are beautiful in your own way.